Sunday, March 13, 2016

Bein' preachy

I was just hanging with a few friends and I'm present to a dilemma (same topic as my last post). Finding balance between personal satisfaction and contributing to the global community isn't so straightforward for me sometimes.

Perhaps I'm just reinvigorated by Naomi Klein's conviction that people have the power to put choice back into each other's hands, but the climate change issue seems to be too big an issue for anyone who knows and cares to not shout about it.

We're on a path right now that has a pretty painful ending for a lot of people, and we're running out of time to effectively put on the brakes. Why isn't every conversation aiming to answer the question, "How do we create a better future for us and other life than the future we're rushing towards?"

Such is the yang side of it, and I can sometimes slip into despair with that one.

On the yin side are all the beautiful lifestyles and communities that people are creating and engaging with that are the birth of that new world. I want to study these much more.

I'm seeing the balance again actually - there's personal satisfaction for me in working for a new future for life. And worry and fear aren't requisite for me to have my cake and eat it too.

As that balance is asking to be sustained, the balance between shifting my own understanding and standing for a shift in our collective understanding also needs to be maintained - my being preachy ain't fun on either side of the sermon!



No comments:

Post a Comment